Join us for a pictorial journey through Ghana and prepare yourself for the new year!
1. Take stock of history.
Viewing the courtyard of Elmina Castle, the oldest standing European building in sub-Saharan Africa.
2. Now, time for a fresh start.
A split fresh coconut at Green Turtle Lodge
3. Looking for a change of direction? What are you good at? Maybe you’re a great cook?
The holiday menu at Green Turtle Lodge
4. Ask: What do I want to do? Perhaps you’re creative.
Bead makers at T.K. Beads in the Eastern Region.
5. Define your goals: know what you’re aiming for
Team player kicking a goal at Bawku Peace One Day
6. Don’t be afraid to take risks, no matter how daunting
The ropeway above the jungle canopy at Kakum National Park in the Central Region
7. Don’t give up, no matter how ominous the signs
Paddling into a storm on the way to Nzulezo Stilt Village, Western Region
8. Teamwork makes everything easier
Fishermen pulling in the nets at Bakaano, Cape Coast
9. But have a little Fun
Elephants swimming in the lake at Mole National Park
Friends doing the Abbey Road thing at Lake Bosumtwi, Ashanti Region
11. Spice things up
Varieties of hot peppers for making the standard range of Ghanaian dishes
12. Hang out with your friends
Children hanging out in Bolgatanga
13. And your family
Godwin and his brothers celebrating together (in Global Mamas shirts!)
14. And don’t forget to stop and smell the roses
Or the perfumed lilies on the way to Nzulezo!
15. And appreciate beauty in simple things
Garden eggs for sale in a market in Cape Coast. They’re related to the aubergine or eggplant and essential to many Ghanaian soups and stews
16. Find a quiet place for inner reflection
Where better than Axim Beach Hotel at seven in the morning?
17. And, celebrate: Happy New Year!
A full circle: Elmina Dance Ensemble practicing in Elmina Castle.
Now it’s time for you to write your own history too.
It’s 2010. Happy New Year.