October 12, 2009

Remembering Kwame Nkrumah

We have a new site www.g-lish.org where you can read all articles from This is Ghana in a much more organised fashion. Read Remembering Kwame Nkrumah there.

I recently did a round-up of blogs commemorating Dr Kwame Nkrumah's 100th birthday at Global Voices. Reading the various blog posts, mostly by Ghanaians, was fascinating. I really enjoyed myself and learnt much in the process to augment my understanding of modern Ghana. You can read the full round up at this link. Here is an excerpt from Abena at chardonas.blogspot.com:

‘In a dusty, browning album belonging to my late father, I found the above
photograph of the first President of Ghana, Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. The
album, covered in red psychedelic flowers houses my father's pictures from the
mid-1960s up to 1973. The photos follow a natural fashion time-line and show how
extremely tight -fitting trousers, beehives and mini-skirts gave way to unkempt
bushy hair, bell-bottoms, afros and platform shoes. It's like Austin Powers
meets Shaft all in Ghana.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...